Caesar salad is the best with freshly made dressing, and it tastes the best with high-quality ingredients. I am sharing my favorite version of the dressing and the salad with tips on making this salad at home quickly and adjusted to your taste.
About Ingredients for the Dressing
Nowadays, it is easy to buy refrigerated in-shell pasteurized eggs, just check the labels. How to Pasteurize Eggs at Home.
Use good-tasting anchovy paste or good-tasting anchovies. It’s about 3 anchovy flat fillets per 1 tbsp. This year, I like Season Brand anchovies jarred in olive oil — available at HEB (Central Texas).
I prefer using craft soy sauces (e.g., an assortment of Haku brand available at Central Market) instead of traditional Worcestershire sauce. Use your favorite.
I do not add Parmesan into the dressing.
1 tbsp of the dressing is 78-80 calories.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 3 each egg yolks pasteurized
- 3 cloves garlic fresh
- 6 each anchovies the flat fillets in olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice and zest fresh
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard Dijon
- 1 tsp soy sauce e.g., smoked Haku soy sauce
- 0.5 tsp kosher salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a blender jar, add all ingredients except for olive oil. Process them for a minute, speed 5-6, or until smooth and homogenous.
- Switch to speed 1 (the lowest speed) and gradually add olive oil. It should take 1.5-2 minutes to add all the oil. If the dressing is too thick, add 1-2 tsp of cold water.
- Transfer the dressing into a clean jar with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.