The Texas Pecan Pie
The Texas House of Representatives named pecan pie as the state’s official pie on Wednesday, April 3, 2013! Lawmakers proposed that only Texas pecans can be used in pecan pies statewide. I know it is tempting to think that April 3 is too close to April 1, but it is serious. Almonds get the glory, now pecans want the spotlight. (c) Pecan market grows both nationally and internationally, and Texas Pecan Board makes efforts to market and set apart Texas Pecans.
6 February 1886, Texas Siftings, pg. 3:
PECAN PIE Is not only delicious, but is capable of being made “a real state pie,” as an enthusiastic admirer said. The pecans must be very carefully hulled, and the meat thoroughly freed from any bark or husk. When ready, throw the nuts into boiling milk, and let them boil while you are preparing a rich custard. Have your pie plates lined with good pastry and when the custard is ready, strain the milk from the nuts and add them to the custard. A meringue may be added, if liked, but very careful baking is necessary.
Don’t Be Shy
Bring on that pecan pie
Pour some sugar on it,
Sugar, don’t be shy!
Queen Latifah – Big, Blonde And Beautiful
When making this pie, don’t be shy with the sugar and butter. And bourbon. And Mexican vanilla. Just don’t be shy at all. Let it go!
Boozy, Adults-Only, All-Inclusive Pecan Pie
for pie crust (2 x 10"D)
- 250 g wheat flour all purpose
- 30 g pecans meal
- 95 g confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 150 g butter
- 50 g egg ~ 1 large egg
for pie filling (2 x 10"D)
- 400 g pecans = 2 cups, halves, toasted
- 430 g brown sugar = 1 cup
- 240 ml agave syrup = 1/2 cup, substitute with light corn syrup
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 vanilla bean seeds
- 100 ml bourbon
- 140 g butter = 5 tbsp
- 4 eggs large
for toasted pecans
- Preheat oven 350F. Spread pecans on baking sheet and toast them for 7 minutes.
for caramel custard
- In a sauce pan, mix sugar, syrup, and vanilla seeds. Place on medium heat to melt sugar, stirring.
- Sugar crystals should be completely melted, syrup bubbling. Turn the heat off.
- Add sliced cold butter and whisk it in. Cold butter will reduce the temperature of sugar syrup, while melting and being cooked in it. Add bourbon and whisk it well into caramel emulsion. Place bowl in cold water bath and, constantly whisking, bring the emulsion to room temperature.
- Coat toasted pecans with caramel emulsion and strain it back to the bowl.
- Add eggs to the strained caramel emulsion and whisk to blend them well.
for pie assembly and baking
- Preheat oven 350F. Remove frozen pie shell from your freezer. Can't find it? Come to my The Best Tart Shell Cooking Class and next time it will be there.
- Fill frozen pie shell with caramel custard and arrange pecans on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Remove from the baking pan and serve.